Historic Properties: City Centre (Broadmarsh)
City of Caves
Garner's Hill, Nottingham. NG1 1HF • (0115) 988 1955
City Of Caves is a subterranean family attraction that is part of a complex of over 500 caves dating back to the Dark Ages, the last of which were in use until as late as the 1940s. Nottingham has more man made caves than anywhere else in Britain, and the cave network has Ancient Monument Protection.
The many caves were made possible thanks to the soft Sherwood Sandstone beneath Nottingham that allowed hand-carved cellars to be excavated and used as store rooms, factories, pub cellars, dwellings and even air raid shelters.
The area was originally known as Tiggua Cobaucc, meaning ‘Place of Caves’, and the first extant reference to Tiggua Cobaucc was in The Life Of King Alfred, by Welsh monk and historian, Asser, the Bishop of Sherborne, who visited Nottingham around 900 AD. These ancient caves were likely used for housing as early as the 11th century, and troglodytes were certainly recorded in the 17th century.
No easily accessible wifi. No smoking.
Open 10am-5pm daily (last entry is 4pm - please check the website for any late changes).
Advance booking available.
Located to the south of the city centre under the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre. The entrance is now at the bottom of the steps at the back of Nottingham Contemporary whilst the centre is being redeveloped.
Lace Market NET tram stop: Five minutes walk.
Parking available nearby - payment required.
Promotional video for the City of Caves and National Justice Museum (formerly the Galleries of Justice Museum) in Nottingham.
City of Caves, Garner's Hill, Nottingham. NG1 1HF • (0115) 988 1955
Last Updated Tuesday 7 June 2022
Please Sign in to send us your comments.