Flag
Key to the City™, Cambridge.
Free Parks and Gardens: City Centre (South)

Tick 8.8

Parker's Piece

0.6km
Park Terrace, Cambridge. CB2 1AD • (01223) 457000
Parker's Piece, Cambridge
Parker's Piece, Cambridge

Parker's Piece is one of the best known open spaces in Cambridge. Located in the centre of the city it is bordered by Park Terrace, Regent Terrace, Parkside and Gonville Place. Its origin is derived from an Edward Parker, a cook, who held the original lease to the land, which at the time was used as grazing land.

The grass is well manicured and it is known today chiefly as a spot for picnics and games of football and cricket.

The green space of Parker's Piece hosted the first ever game of association football. The Cambridge University Foot Ball Club Laws were first used on Parker's Piece in 1848 and adopted by the Football Association in 1863. The Cambridge Rules 1848 sculpture was unveiled at Parker’s Piece at noon on Saturday 12th May 2018.

The gas lamp at the cross roads of the paths, erected in 1893, was nicknamed during the 1960s by students as Reality Checkpoint and is still known by this today. It is also listed on English Nature's statutory list of listed objects.

Features:

Free Entry, Picnic Area.

No easily accessible wifi. Smoking allowed.

Opening Times:

Open at all times. Free admission.

Booking:

Advance booking is not required.

Location:

Located to the south east of the city centre between Regent Street, Gonville Place, Parkside and Park Terrace.

Getting There:

National Rail Cambridge railway station: 15 minutes walk.

Parking:

Parking available nearby - payment required.

Parker's Piece, CambridgeParker's Piece, Cambridge
Parker's Piece, CambridgeParker's Piece, Cambridge
Parker's Piece, CambridgeParker's Piece, Cambridge
Cambridge Rules 1848, Parker's Piece, CambridgeCambridge Rules 1848, Parker's Piece, Cambridge
Parker's Piece, Park Terrace, Cambridge. CB2 1AD • (01223) 457000

Last Updated Thursday 28 April 2022

Attention Please Sign in to send us your comments.

Return to Previous Page Return