The University of Cambridge is not a campus university and the independently founded colleges are located throughout the city of Cambridge, rather than on one central site. Each constituent college has its own administration and rules for the admittance of both students and visitors.
King's College was founded in 1441 by Henry VI (1421-71) and is one of the 31 colleges in the University of Cambridge. King's has an outstanding academic record and is also world-famous for its Chapel and choir. The grounds and Chapel only are open to visitors.
Great St Mary’s is an Anglican church and has maintained its witness to the faith of Christ for many centuries. It has carried out this mission in many ways as a parish church in the diocese of Ely, as the Church of the University of Cambridge, as a place of prayer and celebration for all the citizens of Cambridge.
Trinity Hall was founded by Bishop Bateman of Norwich in 1350, making it the fifth oldest surviving College of the University of Cambridge. Bishop Bateman originally founded the College to promote the study of canon and civil law. To this day, the College maintains a very strong tradition in the study of Law.
Trinity College was founded by Henry VIII in 1546 as part of the University of Cambridge. Since then Trinity has flourished and grown, and is now a home to around 600 undergraduates, 300 graduates, and over 160 Fellows.
Queens' College, with its idyllic setting on the River Cam and its famous Mathematical Bridge, is one of Cambridge's oldest, largest and most recognisable colleges. The College is open to the public and visitors are welcome.
Corpus Christi College is one of the ancient colleges in the University of Cambridge. It was founded in 1352 by the Guilds of Corpus Christi and the Blessed Virgin Mary. It bears the distinction of being the only Oxbridge College founded by the townspeople.
St John's College is one of the oldest and largest colleges in Cambridge. It was founded in 1511 by Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of King Henry VII.
Caius is the fourth oldest surviving College in the University of Cambridge. The College was first founded as Gonville Hall by Edmund Gonville, Rector of Terrington St Clement in Norfolk, in 1348, and refounded in 1557 by John Caius as Gonville and Caius College.